You have found the perfect lot, have designed the perfect home, and now need to make it all pop with an exterior paint color. The color of your home is the first impression. This can bring about anxiety for a lot of homeowners since this color will be seen by all the neighbors, friends and family. No one wants to pick the wrong color, so a lot of people tend to stay with the “safe” colors such as white, off-white, tan, and grey. But, out of these colors, how will you know which ones will be the best for your home? Below are some tips on selecting an exterior paint color:
- Take into account the “non-changeable”, or not easily changeable, items on the exterior such as the roof tile and driveway pavers. Take a close look at these materials and pull colors from them to create a cohesive color palette. For example: if your roof has orange, red and brown in it, then lean toward a warm color on your home in the beiges and browns.
- Take a look around at the neighbors’ homes. Try to compliment, not duplicate or clash, with the neighbors around you. Many developments’ homeowner’s associations will not allow the exact same color home to be built next to each other. This maintains variation and interest in the neighborhood.
- Drive around neighborhoods to get an idea of what color schemes you prefer. Take notes. Do you like the trim to be lighter or darker than the siding? Do you prefer a lighter house color or a darker one?
- Once you find a range of colors that you like, get some samples of them. Since your home will be in natural light, take the samples outside at different times of the day. This will give you more of a true view of what your color choices will look like.
- Consider highlighting interesting details with a complementary color to the siding color. This will show off the uniqueness of your custom home and its features.
Selecting the color of the exterior of your new home does not have to be a struggle as long as you plan and think through your choices. Have fun with color! Harden Custom Homes creates unique homes here in the Southwest Florida area. please contact Harden Custom Homes at (239) 205-5075 or stop by our model home at 2818 Tropicana Pkwy W., Cape Coral, FL 33993. We would love to help you find your perfect home here in sunny Florida!